Friday, July 14, 2006

Rock of Ages

Well, it has been a while since I last updated my book due to the fact that I have been overburdened with work. Ok, that might not be exactly the truth.
It could actually be because I got an Xbox 360.

Anyway, I have decided that I will have enough time to play once I am rich and famous. I have also discovered a way to make sure that people continue to read my book once they pick it up. I just have to use suspense.

The idea is that I end each chapter without really explaining what just happened so that the reader has to continue to discover what has happened.

Take this tidbit I whipped up for example:

Chapter 1
So there I was, sitting in my office, when all of a sudden a client burst in. She was wearing a long brown trenchcoat and her hair was beneath a fedora. Her face covered in tears, she pleaded with me, "Please detective, you have to help me!" Normally, I don't take walk-ins without a previous appointment, but since she was so upset I decided to make an exception.
"Normally, I don't take walk-ins without a previous appointment, but since you are so upset I will make an exception," I said. She fell into a seat in front of the desk and breathed a sigh of relief. I was starting to become intrigued. What was making this poor lady so upset? More importantly, why did she come to me? I listened intently as she leaned forward and began what would be the most amazing story I had ever heard.


See? I just made all that up on the spot, but If I threw in some more sentences for filler, thats a best-selling novel right there! Anyway, I just need to figure out how to use suspense in my current novel and I will practically be a billionaire already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home