Thursday, March 06, 2008

Morality

So, once again, I sit on campus bored and with nothing to do except study.

Which I refuse to do.

Instead I have decided to once again write a blog which basically consists of whatever is on the top of my mind and which no one will ever see.

But it passes the time and gives my hands something to do.

Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about morality lately. Ethics as well. Big issues which for some unknown reason are hard to address. I think it is because of guilt, guilt makes people feel bad so they avoid thinking about it so that they can avoid feeling bad. Natural human response I suppose, though conscience and guilt are also human responses... so these things must be combating, unless the former isn't really a natural response and is something that is learned.

I guess I should think about childhood then, to see if it is something that would be learned. At least for me, when I was a child, guilt would often times make me fess up in order to get rid of the guilt. So maybe it is more natural to face up to the consequences to get rid of guilt than to avoid the situation altogther... or maybe I was just a weird kid.

Well, assuming that I am the norm and most people are this way, at what point do we learn avoidance? Is it after punishment that we become afraid of punishment? Is the lessening of guilt not as strong a force as threat of discipline? Of course this varies from person to person, though, depending on the person it seems like an awful lot of people i know seek avoidance at this point in their life.

If the majority of people seek to hide their crimes, then their must be some catalyst that is experienced to create this urge - if the above is all true. And if this urge stretches across so many people, it must be a restricted list of events that can cause this... otherwise this urge would vary greatly among people. So something that all people go through. I suppose the opposite could be true as well, maybe their are many many events that can cause this change from nature which makes it unavoidable. Unless your character can survive this onslaught...

Well I am going to class now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home